What is the difference of today swiss roll compare to the other swiss roll posted in this blog? The answer is on it’s filling. Today swiss roll did not use butter cream or whipped cream but instead the self made yam paste.
Instead of making pattern roll, the rabbit try to implement the zebra cake technique of mixing 2 difeerent color of batter into the tin to make some zebra pattern. However it did not work well because she was too lazy to measure and balance the yam batter and the original batter properly, resulted to more yam batter. Hence below was the result, the zebra pattern where only created at the side of the roll.
While cleaning the kitchen, rabbit spotted some left over on her yam paste and decided to make another roll cake. Don’t you think this cute Totoro theme roll is just perfect ? The gray/purplish taro/yam color was great match for Totoro.
For the Yam Swiss roll
- 12 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- 90 gr sugar
- 70 gr cake flour
- 50 gr Coconut cream
- 50 gr corn oil
- Whisk eggs and sugar until ribbon stage (thick and pale)
- Sieve in cake flour and mix well and finally add in the melted butter and corn oil
- Use spatula to fold the batter evenly and then divided the batter into 2 bowl
- Add 1 table spoon of taro paste to the first mixture and mix well and leave the second as what it is
- Pour a ladle of white batter at the center of the tray and the top with a ladle of yam batter and repeat this process until both batter are finish
- Bake at 180C for 12 minutes or until cooked
Ingredients for Yam paste
- 300 gr of yam (cut into cubes)
- 60 gr sugar
- 90 gr coconut cream
Steam the yam until soft and smashed while still hot, mix in sugar and coconut cream. If you prefer finer texture, use food processor to blend the mixture until soft. (The rabbit use hand potato smasher to deliberately leave few chunks to add more texture to the paste)
In the case if you wonder what is Toroto? He is a character from Gibli studio anime “My neighbour Totoro”. Below were the bento made by the rabbit based on Totoro image.
Happy Monday all… wish you a great week ahead.